Restylane was introduced to the market in 1996. It is hyaluronic acid and exists naturally in all living organisms. It is a universal component of the spaces between the cells of the body (extracellular space). Our skin houses the vast majority (56%) of hyaluronic acid, with the remainder found in muscles and bone. A polysaccharide or natural sugar, it has an identical chemical structure in all species and tissue types and is harvested from a variety of sources: plant, animal or non-animal (simple bacteria). Restylane is fully bio-compatible and allergy testing is not required.
Restylane Contour is a sculptable HA dermal filler and the next generation of injectable volume and contouring for cheek-related augmentations. It features a thinner, smooth consistency that allows it to be comfortably placed within the superficial dermis layer.
Restylane Contour, a non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid gel, also demonstrated superior results to the treatment control in the perception of the quality and naturalness of the results.
In clinical trials, patients receiving Restylane® Contour experienced an average increase in cheek volume of approximately 49 percent at eight weeks compared to an average increase of approximately 24 percent at eight weeks in patients receiving other injectable products.
Restylane’s cousin, Restylane Lyft, is available for patients with more severe wrinkles and folds, such as “nasolabial folds,” or smile lines. Restylane Lyft is comprised of the same material as Restylane, but contains larger gel particles that meet the needs of stubborn lines and other areas requiring a greater fill in the lower layers of the dermis.
Restylane Lyft contains Lidocaine, which aids in both the addition to volume and fullness, as well as the reduction of pain and discomfort. An ultrafine needle injects the gel to plump up the skin around wrinkled areas. An interesting study revealed that patients receiving Restylane Lyft felt 30% less discomfort than with Restylane. The results of Restylane Lyft last about six months.
Just like the other members of the Restylane Collection, Restylane Silk, is a formulation of hyaluronic acid. Everyone has this natural acid in his or her body. The acid is a series of sugars that combine with water to lubricate movable parts. The hyaluronic acid and water work as moisturizers. Due to aging and exposure to the sun’s ultra-violet rays, hyaluronic acid needs replenishing. Often, the body can’t regenerate it at a desired level. Aging can often lead to undesirable results in the lips including lip thinning, lost shape and an increase in vertical lines above the lip. With that, Restylane Silk can be used as a derivation to simulate and sustain that once-youthful look.
Restylane Silk is the latest in the RestylaneCollection to earn FDA approval status. What Restylane Silk does is similar in nature to the other products in the Restylane Collection, but its general focus is on the lips and perioral lines, aka smoker’s lines. This injectable gel is soft, and that is its defining feature. The soft gel increases results’ longevity when compared to other fillers used to reduce the fine lines around the mouth.
Restylane Silk is designed specifically to provide natural looking results in the vertical lines above the lip by using smaller, smoother particles than those used in other Restylane products.
Restylane Refyne & Restylane Defyne
Are you noticing laugh lines or marionette lines around your mouth and nose? As we age, our skin loses elasticity, making the lines running from the side of your nose to the corners of your mouth and the lines running from the corners of your mouth to your chin more apparent. Restylane Refyne & Restylane Defyne are hyaluronic acid dermal fillers specially formulated with XpresHAn Technology that are designed to correct moderate to deep laugh lines and or marionette lines in a natural-looking way. The uniquely formulated gel in Restylane Refyne & Restylane Defyne also help support your face’s natural expression. This delivers real-life results and maintains natural movement for all the facial expressions you make on a day-to-day basis.
What is the difference between Restylane Refyne and Restylane Defyne?
While it is true that both fillers are formulated to correct laugh lines and marionette lines while preserving natural facial movement, they both serve different purposes. Restylane Refyne is designed to correct moderate wrinkles and lines, while Restylane Defyne is designed to correct deepened wrinkles and lines.
In a clinical study, subjects evaluated the naturalness of their facial expressions after one month of optimal treatment.
- 97% were satisfied with their treatment results
- 97% would do the treatment again
- 95% would recommend the products to a friend
- Restylane Refyne and Restylane Defyne are the only fillers that have been shown in a clinical study to help maintain naturalness of facial movement and expressions.
Restylane Kysse is an injectable gel composed of hyaluronic acid (HA is a naturally occurring sugar found in the human body) and crosslinked with BDDE, an ingredient that helps form a network of HA to provide a gel filler that lasts longer. Restylane Kysse also contains 0.3 % lidocaine to reduce pain during injection.
As we age, our skin cells tend to lose their ability to produce hyaluronic acid (HA). Restylane Kysse is designed to add fullness to the lips and helps smooth wrinkles around the upper lip, also known as perioral lines, in patients over the age of 21. In the Restylane Kysse study, most side effects were short-lasting (7 days or less) with mild or moderate. Typical side effects include redness, swelling, pain, itching, lumps, bruising, and discoloration.
To add fullness, Restylane Kysse is injected with an ultrafine needle into your lips. It can also help smooth the wrinkles around your upper lip (perioral lines) by injecting Restylane Kysse into the skin above your lips.
Fillers are utilized to rejuvenate a patient’s face, providing a younger appearance, translating into more exuberance. Restylane was the first FDA – approved, non-animal based injectable filler, and has been successfully administered more than 10 million times globally. It is generally used to treat wrinkles in the face. It can also be administered to the lips to present a more full-volume look.
As we get older the skin cells lose their ability to produce hyaluronic acid. In addition, the molecular weight of the hyaluronic acid decreases with age, so that it does not hold water as well as before. Hyaluronic acid is commonly used in moisturizers and cosmetics because of its efficiency at holding on to water. Even while a hyaluronic acid fill is being naturally degraded, what remains of the filler attracts water from the body, and that function allows it to hold its shape even longer and able to maintain its volume until it is almost fully degraded. Because the body has its own system for absorbing hyaluronic acid, it disappears over time without a trace. Restylane is proven to deliver long-lasting results. Studies have shown that Restylane effects generally last for about 6 months. It is a natural cosmetic filler injected into the skin to smooth wrinkles. To help maximize patient comfort, the treatment area is anesthetized with a topical cream or nerve block prior to injecting Restylane. In contrast, Botox® is a drug that relaxes the muscles causing wrinkles. The most common side effects include redness, swelling, pain, itching, discoloration, bruising, and tenderness.
What will Restylane Kysse do for me?
Restylane Kysse temporarily adds volume to the lips and help smooth the wrinkles above your mouth. Restylane Kysse was studied in many subjects like yourself to determine if it was effective and to ensure that it is safe for use.The study doctors reported:
- 77% (129/168) of subjects had at least a 1-point improvement in lip fullness 6 months after treatment
- 60% (101/169) of subjects had at least a 1-point improvement in lip fullness 12 months after treatment
The subjects reported:
- 88% (148/169) rated an improvement in the appearance 6 months after treatment
- 78% (132/169) rated an improvement in the appearance 12 months after treatment
How was Restylane Kysse Studied?
Restylane Kysse was tested, to ensure that it worked properly (effective) and was safe to use, in a clinical study before it was approved for use in all subjects. This study included 261 women, 9 men, and were from various ethnic groups with multiple skin tones (pale to dark skin). Each of these subjects expressed desire to augment their lips. Subjects could also treat the lines around the upper lip.
The study was created to compare two different dermal filler gel products. It was conducted by 14 different doctors in 14 different locations across the United States.
Subjects who participated in the study received an initial treatment with Restylane Kysse or another similar dermal filler gel. The selection of product was randomly assigned to each subject so that 185 subjects received Restylane Kysse and 88 subjects received the comparator product. Touch-up injections were given as needed after 4 weeks with the same product as used at the initial treatment. Each subject was monitored for 12 months following the procedure to measure the effect of treatment. For each subject, the amount of product used was based on their individual need.
In order to objectively measure improvements in lip augmentation over 12 months, each subject was evaluated by a doctor other than the one who had performed the treatment. Subjects also evaluated themselves. To measure side effects following the procedure, each subject kept a diary for 30 days to record side effects. These were then shared with the doctors.
After 12 months, all subjects could receive an optional treatment with Restylane Kysse, independent on what product they had been treated with initially. Subjects that received re-treatment were monitored for another 4 weeks for the effect and safety of repeat treatments.
Restylane Procedure Information
What happens in the office before the injection?
Note that each doctor may have a unique process for treating patients. The following is an example of what your doctor may do before the injection procedure:
- Talk to you about your medical history, including questions about prior procedures, surgeries, illnesses and medications you have taken.
- Talk to you about your desired results for your procedure.
- Examine your face and discuss whether Restylane is the right treatment for you.
- Review what you should expect during and after the procedure.
- Let you know of any possible side effects that you may experience, and what to do if you experience these.
- Take photos of the area of your face that will be treated.Your doctor may also have additional ways of evaluating patients and preparing them for a procedure.
What happens during the procedure?
Your doctor may do the following during your procedure:
- Your skin will be cleansed prior to treatment
- Use a cream or ointment called a topical anesthetic to numb the area where you will receive your injection.
- Your doctor will begin the procedure by giving you the first injection, then pausing to allow the anesthetic that is part of Restylane to continue to numb the area around your injection. The anesthetic part of Restylane has been shown to significantly reduce the pain and discomfort that may occur with a dermal filler gel injection.
- Your doctor will continue the injection of Restylane until the area being treated shows the desired results.
- After the injection is completed, your doctor may gently massage the area that was treated to ensure the dermal filler gel is distributed evenly and looks natural.
What should patients do after receiving a Restylane treatment?
- A clean cloth dipped in cold water (cold compresses) wrung out, and applied to the injected area may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling.
- Avoid touching the treated area within six hours following treatment so you do not accidentally injure your skin while the area is numb. After that, the area can be gently washed with soap and water.
- Avoid taking aspirin, NSAID, St. John’s Wort, blood thinners, and high doses of Vitamin E supplements for one week after treatment. These agents may increase bruising and bleeding at the injection site.
- Minimize strenuous exercise and exposure to excessive heat, sun, or UV lamps for the first 24 hours after treatment. Exposure to any of these may cause temporary redness, swelling, and/or itching at the injection site. Until there is no redness or swelling, avoid exposure of the treated area to intense cold or heat such as sun lamps or sun bathing.
Restylane Collection of Fillers should not be used if you:
- Have severe allergies manifested by a history of anaphylaxis or a history of multiple severe allergies.
- Have a history of allergies to gram-positive bacterial proteins since there is a trace amount in the product.
- Have a known susceptibility to keloid formation or hypertrophic scarring.
- Are taking immunosuppressive medications.
- Are pregnant or nursing.
If you or someone you know is interested in learning more about the Restylane Collection of Fillers or any other medical aesthetics, call Dr. Taylor’s Cape Coral office at 239-540-9918 to be scheduled for a consultation today.