Restylane® was introduced to the market in 1996. It is hyaluronic acid and exists naturally in all living organisms. It is a universal component of the spaces between the cells of the body (extracellular space). Our skin houses the vast majority (56%) of hyaluronic acid, with the remainder found in muscles and bone. A polysaccharide or natural sugar, it has an identical chemical structure in all species and tissue types and is harvested from a variety of sources: plant, animal or non-animal (simple bacteria).Restylane is fully biocompatible and allergy testing is not required.
As we get older the skin cells lose their ability to produce hyaluronic acid. In addition, the molecular weight of the hyaluronic acid decreases with age, so that it does not hold water as well as before. Hyaluronic acid is commonly used in moisturizers and cosmetics because of its efficiency at holding on to water. Even while a hyaluronic acid fill is being naturally degraded, what remains of the filler attracts water from the body, and that function allows it to hold its shape even longer and able to maintain its volume until it is almost fully degraded. Because the body has its own system for absorbing hyaluronic acid, it disappears over time without a trace. Restylane is proven to deliver long-lasting results. Studies have shown that Restylane effects generally last for about 6 months. It is a natural cosmetic filler injected into the skin to smooth wrinkles. To help maximize patient comfort, the treatment area is anesthetized with a topical cream or nerve block prior to injecting Restylane. In contrast, Botox® is a drug that relaxes the muscles causing wrinkles. The most common side effects include redness, swelling, pain, itching, discoloration, bruising, and tenderness.
Restylane should not be used if you:
- Have severe allergies manifested by a history of anaphylaxis or a history of multiple severe allergies
- Have a history of allergies to gram positive bacterial proteins since there is a trace amount in the product.
- Have a known susceptibility to keloid formation or hypertrophic scarring.
- Are taking immunosuppressive medications
- Are pregnant or nursing.